Practical Power boat training - Improve your confidence on the water -
Practical Power boat Training
Our comprehensive 16 hour power boat handling course is for anyone who wants to learn or improve their boating skills. Improve your confidence to safely operate a power boat. No previous experience is required. Set over 2 days the course encompasses the following:
The course includes:
• Safety checks – Essential items that every boat should carry
• Navigation – Charts, tides and weather
• Rules of the road – Right of way, buoys and beacons
• Emergencies – Preventing and dealing with breakdowns and incidents
• Correct use of a VHF Radio
On the water skills:
• Safety checks and boat prep
• Launching and recovering on a trailer
• Slow speed manoeuvring
• High speed manoeuvring
• Turning vessel in a restricted space
• Docking and use of spring lines
• Anchoring and picking up a mooring
• Emergency scenarios including Person overboard recovery and engine failure
• Retrieval of vessel, washdown and equipment checks
A compressive boat manual is included in the course fee and a discount voucher for your first boat hire from The Diverse Boat Company.
The 2 day course costs $860 per person inc 15% GST. A 50% deposit is required to secure your place on the course. Space is limited to 4 people per course. Please note a minimum of three people will be required to run a course.
Courses run from 1st May to the 30th September, at weekends. Booking is essential. During your experience you will gain essential boating knowledge whilst cruising the water to practice your skills. If you are interested in the opportunity to learn whilst on the water and would like further details please contact us via our booking form.
Requirements for the course:
Comfortable warm, wind and waterproof clothing. Non slip footwear.
As the course is weather dependant there may be cancellations due to adverse weather conditions. However, we will endeavour to reschedule the training course at a mutually agreeable date should this occur. See our Terms & Conditions cancellations policy.
Our experienced course instructor:
Milo Coldren, began power boating as a teenager in a sea rescue unit on Canada's Pacific coast leading to a career in SAR and Emergency Management. He has worked commercially, competitively and recreationally on the sea since, exploring remote areas of the globe such as Tierra del Fuego, the Falklands, Galapagos and Pitcairn islands. He is a commercial skipper, New Zealand Coastguard Boating Education tutor & examiner, RYA powerboat instructor and ASA Sailing instructor.